The 7 dwarves: debugging information beyond gdb
The DWARF debugging information format has been so far used in debuggers such as gdb, and more recently in tools such as systemtap and frysk.
In this paper the author will show additional scenarios where such information can be useful, such as:
- Showing the layout of data structures;
- Reorganizing such data structures to remove alignment holes;
- Improving CPU cache utilization;
- Displaying statistics about inlining of functions;
- Re-creating structs and functions from the debugging information;
- Showing binary diffs to help understand the effects of any code change.
And much more.